Welcome to The Pauley Principle!

The Pauli Principle, named for Wolfgang Pauli, deals with atoms and electron-sharing that results in new, stronger bonds. Think 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen, a shared delectable (!) electron and VOILA! Water!

Similarly, when you prepare whole food to share with family and friends, especially foods you've grown, something amazing happens. Meals become tastier and healthier. Your soul, not just your stomach, becomes fulfilled. You live life more abundantly as a result. During a shared meal, the bonds that people create grow stronger and become something new: GREATER than the sum of the parts! I give you The Pauley Principle.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

ODE TO THE INCREDIBLE EGG AND THE HENS WHO LAY THEM



Every morning lately, I've eaten one of our little pullet eggs.


Every morning lately, my husband has eaten one of the very large duck eggs.








The flavor of the eggs amazes me! They're delicious! The organic eggs I've bought have been similar in look but not so much in flavor. Maybe it's because I have a friendly relationship to the hens, but I'm more delighted with both the flavor and the quality of these eggs. Some of you have chickens. Don't you just love it?! It's so handy that we're getting eggs now. I didn't expect it to be so soon! And the taste!!! Have you tried duck eggs?  I'm just as pleased with the flavor and quality of the duck eggs, and the loft they give to baked goods is impressive! Well, I could go on and on.

In homage to the egg, I have to say it exemplifies the Pauli Exclusion Principle. Each is unique but, in combination with other ingredients, the egg shares its qualities to make truly remarkable chemical reactions in the kitchen!!! I've been up to my elbows lately in eggs, sugar, butter and flour lately and loving the results!

Of course, the egg would not be possible without the hen who lays it. Yes, the hen comes first! Chris takes really good care of the feeding and housing of our chickens and ducks. Our 48  pullet hens, the little Speckled Sussex, are giving us 2-3 eggs a day, with nary a laying nest!  Our 4 ducks are laying 3 eggs a day on average in a shared laying box, although one insists on dropping hers in the pool. What's up with that?!

The chicken condo at an earlier stage of development.
In homage to the chicken, my husband has been working evenings trying to complete the chicken condo that had, up until now, just been a shell with a brooder in one corner. NOW, he has installed two large picture windows in the south end (at the unseen left wall in the photo) with a trap door and ramp underneath that will lead to the outdoors for free ranging. He has walled up the room for the Speckled Sussex, a new and larger area that will soon be equipped with a roost and real nesting boxes!  They'll no longer have to fluff up the bedding in a corner of the brooder!

Question: Why do our hens roost backwards? 

Second question: When spring comes, and these hens really start laying, 
what am I going to do 
with all those eggs???

(I'm giving more and more thought to the local Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings, but if all I have to offer is eggs, is it worth the set-up? On the other hand, what other things might I offer? I DO like baking, but it seems so many people are offering baked goods. Our local market is saturated. Maybe something different...)
Chris is measuring for laying boxes. Notice the camouflage wall? It happened to be the best buy that day.
Here I am with the Speckled Sussex. They're so cute and friendly. The hens will be happy to have laying boxes and a larger roost. They're still using the brooder and making nests in the bedding for their 2 to 3 eggs a day.

And here's Roosti-Roo, a very proud fella!



5 comments:

  1. put me on your spring list - I love fresh brown eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ronda, I'm with you on the chickens! Love my hens. We're swamped with eggs right now and that's a blessing with Christmas baking coming up.

    I tried to email you to no avail--don't know where that message went :/ Would you email me at susannaholstein@yahoo.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We would love to be on your delivery route for fresh eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness....what are you going to do with all those eggs in the spring?? You better buy another refrigerator LOL! I know people will pay a premium for duck eggs -- I love them to bake with, but scrambled duck eggs...I just can't get passed the texture :-)

    What a nice chicken condo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Momi--We did buy another refrigerator! And a large cooler for my delivery route. So far, all my upcoming clients are in a small radius of home, except for a friend in Mississippi who wants on my route. She has an ulterior motive, though.

    ReplyDelete