Welcome to The Pauley Principle!

The Pauli Principle, named for Wolfgang Pauli, deals with atoms and electron-sharing that results in new, stronger bonds. Think 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen, a shared delectable (!) electron and VOILA! Water!

Similarly, when you prepare whole food to share with family and friends, especially foods you've grown, something amazing happens. Meals become tastier and healthier. Your soul, not just your stomach, becomes fulfilled. You live life more abundantly as a result. During a shared meal, the bonds that people create grow stronger and become something new: GREATER than the sum of the parts! I give you The Pauley Principle.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Lowly Dandelion, A Regal Herb or Common Weed?

I get excited when I see dandelions! No, probably not the way most people do. In fact, if you're like most people, you might not want to live next door to me. My husband even cringes when he sees dandelions in our yard. So now I lamely try to relegate them to my herb bed but, admittedly, dandelions are a hard animal to herd!

Did you know the early colonials actually brought dandelions to America from Europe? Truly! Considered an herb, the leaf and flower were brewed for a tea to ward off respiratory infections. The leaves were desired by the colonials as greens, gathered and boiled before the flowers blossomed when the leaves wouldn't be so bitter.

Today, the peppery bite of the leaf  has now made itself a regal part of some mixed green salads.

In my opionion, however, the flower is the best part and might be considered a poor man's substitute for mushrooms. Dipped in an egg-cornmeal batter, slightly salted, then sauteed in butter, it's almost difficult to tell the difference between the dandelion and a morel prepared the same way. Many times I've consoled myself when I haven't found wild mushrooms by gathering up a few blossoms and having them as a nice little appetizer!

Yes, I love dandelions! Their bright sunshiny faces speak to me silently with a promise of deliciousness! A promise it almost always keeps. Always except for one time when I tried making dandelion wine. I won't likely be doing that again.

1 comment:

  1. I often tell my kids that dandelions are God's favorite flower because they are EVERYWHERE. They are also very high in Vitamin C, Vitamin A and (not surtprisingly) fiber. I think it is ironic that we have so many people suffering from hunger in our society, yet spend so much more and time killing these yellow beauties.

    Keep writing Aunt Ronda.

    ReplyDelete