Welcome to The Pauley Principle!

The Pauli Principle, named for Wolfgang Pauli, deals with atoms and electron-sharing that results in new, stronger bonds. Think 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen, a shared delectable (!) electron and VOILA! Water!

Similarly, when you prepare whole food to share with family and friends, especially foods you've grown, something amazing happens. Meals become tastier and healthier. Your soul, not just your stomach, becomes fulfilled. You live life more abundantly as a result. During a shared meal, the bonds that people create grow stronger and become something new: GREATER than the sum of the parts! I give you The Pauley Principle.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Wine-making Kits

Have you tried any of the winemaking kits on the market? I'm curious. Some companies claim you can actually have good wine in 30 days. Maybe I'll try it sometime. Watch the YouTUBE video. Andy Watkins makes it look so easy! But...With my slower process, I don't have the added chemicals. Instead, the wine filters and de-fizzes itself in a succession of rackings over time, months! And well worth the wait.

Tonight, it's time for me to bottle, cap, and label a delightful little grape/blueberry combination from my own Concord grapes and some locally grown blueberries. The season was rough. Too hot and dry, so this is a very select little batch! The taste is delectable. If I had the money, I'd be willing to pay well for a wine as great as this. But HA!!! I don't have to, and if you try winemaking, you will enjoy yours too.

Here's the hardest part of making wine. I'm such a health nut that I won't allow myself more than a small glass of wine, about 3 ounces, a day. But, as my father used to say, "Moderation in all things, including moderation!"  Hence, the bottomless glass theory.  (Ask Shaun.)

2 comments:

  1. I've decided to try one. There are definite advantages to these kits. They speed up the time it takes to make wine, but the drawback is that you must use additives that are completely unnecessary when you allow the wine to make itself.

    ReplyDelete